Sunday, April 15, 2012

Summer Internships: Help!?

Seeing as the list of topics that we can "gamify" has been almost entirely exhausted, I thought I'd focus my last blog post on something that many of us are probably looking for in the next couple weeks - internships. Those lucky ones that have had positions locked down for months - politely turn away, as this post is basically going to be a rant against the entire system.

When I first began looking for internships earlier this year, I knew my choices would be slim, as the summer after sophomore year is an awkward "in-between" point. You're just a little too old for remedial grunt work in an office, but just a little too inexperienced for a high-stakes internship. I began to reach out to friends of my parents and people I had interned for in previous summers, but had no luck. I applied for a laundry list of positions in sports, politics and business - basically any industry I was remotely interested in. Still, nothing came of it. Is it all some conspiracy to keep me perpetually bored at home for four months? Like so many things, obtaining internships can often be about who you know. While this system may be inherently unfair, it has panned out alright for me in the past, as I have had an internship every summer since 9th grade - up until now, that is. So what can we do to make this game fairer? Not much, it seems like, unless you expect 12 year olds to start networking with their parents friends, in anticipation of needing a favor seven years down the road.

Internships are all a part of trying to get ahead, and make your resume look better and better for job applications in the next few years. So if I don't get an internship this summer, then what happens? Am I inherently losing the game? I would hope not, and am going to try and take classes this summer to get ahead on credits. Maybe the game of obtaining a job has many planes, and since I may fall behind on one, I'm trying to get ahead on another. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your post that obtaining internships is really about who you know. I think that this process is extremely unfair, and I wish there was a better solution. While I was looking for an internship this summer, my parents wanted to ask their friends to hire me and use their connections. When they offered to do so, I felt uncomfortable and weird about this. I felt strange having my parents' friends get me my job- I felt it was right to do it on my own. However, if I didn't get the "best" possible internship on my own, I felt like I'd be missing out on an experience that I could have otherwise had with my parents help.

    I think this process is very similar to the college process. Our parents are willing to exhaust their resources and do anything in their power to get us into our dream schools. However, if they do this and we don't get into the school on our own, we're probably not meant to be there. I think this system really is a game. If we don't utilize our resources, we might get left behind. But I do think there is something to be said for being honest and working on our own. I just wonder if there is a balance or ever will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obtaining a high quality internship is very difficult, especially when you are 3,000 miles away from your hometown. This means a lot of emailing and phone calls between employers. The process may be viewed as "unfair" because many college students use connections to work where they want. I think using connections is not unfair, but an essential skill for people to learn. Networking is at the core of every business transaction. Whether it be selling artwork or placing a business deal, there are constant interactions between people. Establishing a good relationship with someone could always help you out in the future. I think a better way to look at the situation would be to utilize the Michigan network we have available to us. By providing students with Michigan parents who are willing to take on an intern, students could gain exclusive access to a number of internships. I'm very surprised schools have not already begun to create a network of internships exclusive to students at each respective school.

    ReplyDelete